I am a huge supporter of homemade household cleaners, but there are some very important things to keep in mind when mixing chemicals.
- Do not mix bleach and vinegar because it will create toxic chlorine gas.
- Do not mix bleach and ammonia because it will create toxic chloramine vapors.
- Do not mix bleach and rubbing alcohol because it will make chloroform.
- Do not mix hydrogen peroxide and vinegar because it will create peracetic acid.
- General Rule of thumb don’t mix household cleaners with ammonia or bleach without looking up what their chemical reactions are (or any other chemical for that matter).
- Rust removers, toilet bowl cleaners, and dish soaps can be deadly when mixed with certain chemicals.
If you do expose yourself to any of these chemical mixtures or you are concerned about any other chemicals, you can contact Poison Control for more information.